le tasting room

Loire wine tours, tastings, day trips from Paris & short breaks organised by experienced English wine trade professionals.

Saturday 19 January 2013

It has to be soup when there's snow on the ground


There's something very comforting about a big bowl of steaming soup when you look outside and see snow on the ground.  The thought of a cold sandwich fills me with dread - it has to be hot and nourishing.

Soup is so easy to make and takes little time.  Today I just had a root around in the veggie basket and finely chopped a bit of everything in there.  I sweated finely diced onion, carrot, cauliflower and curly cabbage along with a fat clove of garlic in a saucepan with a large chunk of butter and a little oil to stop it burning.  When everything had softened up a bit I added some shredded chorizo, a can of tomatoes and finally topped up with vegetable stock that I made up using a stock cube.  20 minutes of bubbling on the top of the stove it was ready.  I seasoned it with a little more sea salt and ground black pepper, added some fresh basil and served it up in big bowls with some chunky croutons that I made using old bread and grated parmesan.  

How easy was that?  

2 comments:

  1. Anybody will be really impressive on Cathy's Loire Wine Tours! I miss such tour from many days.
    wine tours

    ReplyDelete